Category Archives: Health
Diabetes, also known as the silent killer, affects more than 15 million people all around the US. Not only adults but even kids are affected by type 1 and type 2 diabetes. People have to take a lot of care of diabetic patients but if you have a kid who is suffering from diabetes, you have to be on guard 24/7. Most kids don’t understand the complexity they are dealing within this situation, they are kids and they want to do all the basic stuff that most normal kids do. They are also pretty careless when it comes to food and normally have a tendency to eat foods which are unhealthy for them. This article on diabetic snacks for kids teaches you how to make tasty, delicious and healthy foods for children without risking their health too much.
Diabetic Snack Ideas
Many parents are constantly worried what to feed their kids who suffer from diabetes and when you have someone suffering from such a dreaded disease it’s important that the victim follows a healthy diet. Healthy diabetic snacks for children are an ideal way to manage their blood glucose levels and get energy needed to sustain throughout the day.
Healthy Fruit Punch
- An apple peeled, cored and sliced
- A single banana
- A pear peeled, cored and sliced
- Raisins, 1 cup
- Unsweetened orange juice, 1 cup
- Non fat dry milk powder, ½ cup
- If you want you can use orange wedge for garnishing
A great mixture of fresh fruits and an ideal snack for diabetic kids. To make this fruit punch you have to add all these ingredients in the blender and blend until they are smooth and creamy.
- Margarine, ½ cup
- Sugar alternative, ½ cup
- Flour, 2 cups
- Egg whites, 2
- Egg, 1
- Milk, 4 tsp
- Baking soda, 1 tsp
- Vinegar, ¾ tsp
- Mashed bananas, 2
In a medium size bowl and the eggs and mix well. Now add the flour and soda and mix until smooth. Add in the sugar alternative and margarine and mix until smooth. Mix the milk and vinegar separately and then add in the bowl. Now toss in the bananas and bake this mixture for 1 hour at 350°F. After baking take out the bowl and let it cool for some time. Your banana bread is ready to serve.
Chicken with Dijon Mustard
- Skinned chicken breasts, 8 pieces
- Dijon mustard, ½ cup
- Low fat, unsweetened plain yogurt, 8 oz
- Soft breadcrumbs, 1 cup
- Vegetable cooking spray for cooking
In a big bowl add in the yogurt, mustard and the breadcrumbs and mix well. Toss in the chicken breasts in the bowl and make sure each breast piece gets enough coating. Make sure you’ve prepared a baking dish and it has been coated with vegetable cooking spray, take the chicken breasts and arrange them in the baking dish. Bake this recipe at 400°F for 30 minutes and then increase the temperature to 450°F for 5 minutes until the chicken pieces turn brown.
Sugar-free Raspberry Mocha Cake
- Sugar free low-fat cake mix (chocolate mix), 2 packs
- Fat free cold milk, ½ cup
- Melted spreadable fruit (raspberry flavor), ¼ cup
- Sugar free instant cocoa mix, 2 packs
- Freshly brewed chocolate almond flavor coffee, 1 cup
- Sugar free whipped topping mix, 1 pack
- Vanilla extract, ½ tsp
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F. Now take the cake mix and prepare it as per the instructions written on the packet. Now take this cake mix and pour the batter in 2 (8 inch) cake pans. Now place these cake pans in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the cakes comes out clean. Remove the cake pans from the oven and cool it at room temperature for 10 minutes. Remove both the cakes from their pans and make holes in the cake with a wooden stick and fill these holes with melted raspberry spread. In a separate mixing bowl add cocoa mix, topping mix, milk and vanilla extract. Mix it until all the ingredients form a smooth mixture. Now spread this mixture on the cake and keep it for cooling in the refrigerator.
Each of the above given diabetic snacks for kids can also be used as a delicious snack for the entire family. Now you don’t have to worry about your kids eating unhealthy food from outside, you can make your kid’s favorite dishes by just doing some minute changes.
Breakfast is undoubtedly the most important meal of the day. It is required to give you the initial kick to start your day. However, for working individuals, it sometimes becomes difficult to prepare healthy breakfast every day. This in turn has its most severe repercussion, of making people lured away by the convenient food, or the so-called ‘fast foods’. No doubt these kinds of food are real ‘time-savers’, however, saving a bit of time at the cost of your health is not a smart choice. The situation gets worse when you are affected by an illness such as diabetes.
Diabetes refers to a condition where the affected person’s pancreas secretes too less or no insulin (hormone) at all, to carry the glucose in the blood to the cells. This causes the glucose in the blood to rise to a high level. This condition, if left untreated, may lead to serious health problems such as cardiovascular disease, nerve damage, kidney disorders, eye disorders, and brain disorders to name a few. The most important method to maintain a control over blood sugar is following a healthy diet.
If you are diabetic, it is very important to consider the glycemic index of foods when you plan your meals. Glycemic index of the foods indicate how quickly they raise your blood sugar levels. Foods like beans, whole grains, legumes, and most fruits are low in glycemic index; whereas high carb foods like white bread and bagels have a high glycemic index.
Breakfast Ideas for Diabetics
Breakfast Idea #1
Whole wheat toast – 1 slice
Margarine spread – 1 tsp.
Egg substitute or cottage cheese – ¼ cup
Small banana – ½
Breakfast Idea #2
Whole grain toast – 1 slice
Lean ham – 1 slice
Oatmeal mixed with skimmed milk – ½ cup
Breakfast Idea #3
Whole wheat toast – 2 slices
Fat free or low fat milk – ½ cup
Small banana – 1
Breakfast Idea #4
Skimmed milk – 1 cup
Small blueberry muffin – 1
Breakfast Idea #5
Whole grain toast – 2 slices
Egg white omelet – 1
Fresh orange – 1
Breakfast Idea #6
Low fat cottage cheese – ½ cup
Whole grain bread – 1 slice
Grapefruit juice – ½ cup
Breakfast Idea #7
Lean turkey, boneless and skinless – 2 oz.
Whole grain bread – 2 slices
Skimmed milk – 1 cup
Breakfast Idea #8
Boiled egg – 1
Whole wheat toast – 1 slice
Bacon slices – 3
Breakfast Idea #9
Oatmeal – ½ to ⅔ cup
Nuts – 2 tbsp.
Skimmed yogurt – 1 cup
Breakfast Idea #10
Scrambled eggs – 2
Cheese – 1 oz.
Whole wheat toast – 1 slice
Breakfast Idea #11
Egg beaters – 1 serving
Whole wheat toast – 1 slice
Turkey bacon – 1 serving
Breakfast Idea #12
Fried egg – 1
Cinnamon swirled toast – 1 slice
Small sausage patty – 1
Breakfast Idea #13
Muesli – ½ cup
Low fat milk – 1 cup
Lean meat – 1 serving
Breakfast Idea #14
Granary bread – 1 or 2 slices
Olive oil based spread – 1 tbsp.
A mug of tea/coffee
Breakfast Idea #15
Scrambled eggs – 2
Whole-wheat bread – 1 slice
Grapefruit – ½
Fat free yogurt – ½ cup
Diabetes is one of those medical conditions that cannot be prevented, probably because it’s an idiopathic condition. However, including more of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains in the diet; keeping oneself physically active, and maintaining a healthy weight minimize the risks to a great extent.
Adolescence is the most vulnerable stage for putting on weight. Attending parties, gorging on tempting foods, drinks and beverages are a part of fun but such foods have harmful effects on your health when consumed almost everyday. College cafeterias are crowded with students relishing fast foods and junks while whining non stop about the flaws in their figure. Weight loss and weight gain are the topics discussed mostly among girls, who are often ignorant of the fact that it’s the diet that matters the most. The theory is simple, the more you stuff yourself with fatty foods, the more you gain weight. Those who are really concerned about their health, know what to eat and what to avoid. And those who are yet to change their bad eating habits can refer to these diets for college students, that are absolutely easy to follow.
Easy Diets that Work for College Students
College life becomes stressful when you are bogged down under the pressure of studies. To keep the mind fresh and energetic, and to bear with the stress, one should follow a nutritious and healthy diet. The foods you consume must provide you sufficient energy for performing extracurricular activities as well.
Special K Diet
Almost everyone is well aware of Kellogg’s Special K Brand. The crispy cornflakes are devoid of fats and an ideal choice for breakfast. Students who stay at hostels can always keep a packet with themselves. To make it tastier, you can add assorted fruits like banana, strawberries and apples. Have it with skimmed milk and enjoy the taste. You can blend it with honey as well. Repeat the same for your dinner if necessary. The special K diet is actually a weight loss diet and therefore, you have to be careful about your meals. Combine the diet with a lot of green leafy vegetables and salads.
1500 Calorie Diet
1500 calorie is the ideal figure for the total amount of calories that could be consumed in a day. Thus, you have to keep an account on the number of calories you consume everyday. So how would you achieve this target? Let your breakfast be of 500 calories and lunch 400 calories. Since the dinner should be light, limit it to 300 calories and the remaining 300 calories would be made up for snacks. For breakfast you can have oats or brown bread. Have with scrambled eggs, margarine or peanut butter. Whole wheat tortillas, a cup of brown rice along with grilled or baked chicken would be the menu for lunch. Have pulses, lentils and vegetable dishes at dinner. Reduce the intake of snacks and replace junks with healthy foods like protein shakes, banana, milk, fresh fruit juices, nuts, popcorn, etc.
Calorie Shifting Diet
The calorie shifting diet is an easy diet to follow for college students. It elevates metabolism levels since you can incorporate various foods in your diet, that cause upshifting and downshifting of calories. If you have planned to follow this diet for a duration of 7 days, then you will have to alternate the calorie count each day. For example, increase the amount of complex carbohydrates in the day you are consuming more calories, while proteins should be consumed in large portions during the downshifting phase. However, make sure that your diet is healthy, comprising dairy products, vegetables, fruits and whole wheat products. Limit consumption of sugars, white bread and white flour products to control weight gain.
Although it’s not recommended for college students to survive completely on liquid diet, what they can do is, include a lot of healthy and vitamin-rich drinks in their diets instead of solid foods. You can start your day with a glass of warm lemon water, that would act as a master cleanse for your body. Opt for low calorie foods, that have been either baked, boiled or cooked in minimum quantity of oil. Have vegetable soups prepared from lettuce, cabbage and spinach. Drink a lot of fresh, unsweetened fruit juices instead of aerated drinks and canned juices. Soups prepared from soybeans, pulses and lentils are also healthy. Beef stew and chicken soup are not only healthy but are also tasty. Energy drinks containing unique combination of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals must be consumed at least once everyday.
Making a choice between healthy foods and fast foods is indeed a difficult job at this age. But considering the benefits of healthy foods and for fulfilling your weight loss goals, you have to incorporate a diet that would fetch you the desired results. Eating pizzas and burgers once or twice a month is absolutely fine. But a little effort to keep control over your diet would definitely show good results in the long run.
Our stone age ancestors had a lot of time in their hands. They used to hunt food, bring it back to their caves, and cook it. That was their routine until evolution happened and man progressed from the stone age to the modern age of technology. When you talk about the 21st century almost everyone has a busy schedule and almost all of us have a shortage of time. Some are students, or have work, and or have businesses to take care off. So knowing a few easy and quick healthy recipes can be of great help at such times.
America’s waistline is increasing at a rapid pace, and the fast-food industry, which has a turnover of more than 1 billion USD, is increasing its followers every minute. People are getting addicted to junk food and completely ignoring its side effects. For people who are concerned about their health and are searching for some healthy recipes in order to get a toned body, here are some good options.
Packed Potato Soup
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp.
- All-purpose Flour, 3 tbsp.
- Red Potatoes, 4
- Chicken Broth, 1 ¼ cup (Fat free, low sodium)
- Chopped Onion, ½ cup
- Low Fat Milk, 2 cups
- Low Fat Sour Cream, 1 cup
- Bacon Slices, (halved) 3
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, ⅓ cup
- Green Onions, (sliced) 4 tsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, ¼ tsp.
Pierce the potatoes with a fork and then cook for 15 minutes in the microwave, on high temperature, until tender. While you cook the potatoes, take a saucepan and heat olive oil on medium flame. Now, add onion and sauté it for 3 to 4 minutes, and then add the chicken broth. Now mix the flour and milk in a separate bowl and add it to the sauce pan. Bring this mixture to a boil and mix well. Now close the flame and add the sour cream, salt, and pepper; mix well. Place the bacon slices on a paper towel in an oven proof dish and cook it in the oven for 4 minutes. Remove the potato skins, mash them well and add in the soup. Garnish the soup with cheese, bacon and green onions. Your delicious soup is ready.
- Pine Nuts, 2 tbsp.
- Garlic Cloves, (peeled) 3
- Fresh Basil Leaves, 2 cups
- Grated Parmesan Cheese, ¼ cup
- Low-sodium Vegetable Broth, 1 cup
- Salt, ½ tsp.
Place all the pine nuts in a pan. Heat the pan on a medium flame. Make sure you cook the nuts until they are golden and remember to shake the pan often, otherwise the nuts will get burnt. In a blender add nuts, broth, basil, cheese, garlic, salt, and oil; blend until you get a smooth and thick paste. Serve this sauce with rolls, French fries or even tortilla chips.
Kung Pao Chicken
- Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts (cut into ¼ inch strips), 2
- Broccoli Florets, 4 cups
- Fat-free Chicken Broth, ½ cup
- Garlic Cloves, (Minced) 4
- Water, ½ cup
- Canola Oil, (divided) 1 tbsp.
- Rice Wine Vinegar, 2 tbsp.
- Salted Peanuts, (chopped) 2 tbsp.
- Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp.
- Hoisin Sauce, 2 tbsp.
- Cornstarch, 1 tsp.
- Fresh Ginger, (grounded) 1 tbsp.
- Red Pepper, (crushed) 1 tsp.
Put a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and heat 1 tsp. oil in it. Now add the broccoli and 1 tsp. ginger in the skillet and sauté for 3 minutes. Pour water, cover the skillet and cook for more 3 minutes, until the broccoli becomes tender and crispy. Remove the broccoli from the pan and keep warm. Now add the remaining oil and ginger in the pan. Add crushed red pepper and chicken in the pan, and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken gets lightly browned. Take a separate bowl and add chicken broth, hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and garlic cloves. Stir well with a whisk. Add the broth mixture to the pan and cook well. Now add the broccoli to the pan and serve this amazing chicken recipe hot.
Prawns with Salt and Pepper
- Peeled and Deveined Raw Shrimp, 1 lb.
- Cabbage, (thinly sliced) 6 cups
- Lime Juice, ¼ cup
- Red Bell Peppers, (Very thinly sliced) 2
- Rice Flour ¼ cup
- Soy Sauce, 4 tsp.
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Kosher Salt, ½ tsp.
- Five-spice Powder, 1 tsp.
- Freshly Ground Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Canola Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Jalapeños, (seeded and minced) 2
In a large bowl, add lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. Mix well until the sugar gets completely dissolved. Also add cabbage and bell peppers. In a separate bowl mix rice flour, salt, pepper, five spice, and coat the shrimp with this mixture. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium flame. Now add the coated shrimp and cook. Make sure you stir regularly. Add in jalapeños and cook the shrimp for 1 more minute.
- Low-calorie Granulated Sugar, 2 tbsp.
- Cold Butter, 6 tbsp.
- All-purpose Flour, 1 ½ cup
- Salt, 2 tsp.
Ingredients for the Filling
- Half-and-Half, (half milk and half cream) ½ cup
- All-purpose Flour, ⅓ cup
- Fresh Lemon Juice, ½ cup
- Fresh Grated Lemon Peel, 1 tbsp.
- Granular Sugar, 1 ¼ cup
- Eggs, 5
For baking the crust, preheat the oven to 350°F. Take a lightly sprayed 8×8 baking pan. Take a food processor and combine flour, salt, and low-calorie granulated sugar, and grind it well. Add butter and blend until you get a fine mixture. Pour this mixture in the baking pan and bake until the crust is lightly browned. Take a separate bowl, add eggs and half-and-half, mix well. Slowly add the flour, low-calorie granulated sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Pour this mixture over the baking pan and bake until the crust is set and the edges have become brown. Now let it cool and serve after cutting it into square pieces.
Girls in their teenage tend to commit a lot of mistakes when it comes to food. It’s the age that makes you the most vulnerable to having junks, fast foods, sweets and carbonated drinks. You indulge into frequent parties and hangouts, where gorging on food becomes a much celebrated event. Furthermore, girls who stay in hostels mostly resort to instant food which keeps them away from the hassle of cooking. Well, all such habits are not at all healthy and the consequences become evident after a certain point of time. Considering the benefits of healthy foods, we have provided you an easy to follow diet regimen for teenage girls.
Effective Diets for Teenage Girls
Easy diets are those that take minimal effort to prepare and are healthy at the same time. Thus, it’s important for you to know the foods that nourish your body from within and suffice all the vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats and carbohydrates, essential for you. For your assistance we have planned a healthy diet plan that you can follow everyday.
A Heavy Breakfast
Skipping breakfasts in the morning is a bad habit. It’s because your stomach remains empty entire night and in that span it starts secreting acids that might destroy its lining. You will soon experience gastrointestinal disorders, weakness and nausea. So you can plan your breakfast this way. Have health drinks and protein powders with milk. Make toasts with brown bread and spread margarine or low fat butter on it. Oatmeal, porridge, muesli and cornflakes with assorted fruits like banana and apples will keep you full till lunch time. You can also have a boiled egg or scrambled egg for breakfast. It doesn’t take much time to prepare these recipes and you can easily have them before going school.
A Moderate Lunch
If you eat a heavy meal during your lunch time, then you will end up feeling bloated and sleepy for rest of the day. The options for lunch are baked chicken, roasted steaks and vegetable tortillas. Eat lots of salads during lunch. You can cook a dish with carrots, onions, cucumbers, beet, broccoli, lettuce and spinach, in boiled form and garnish with low fat cheese and butter. Have fish regularly and brown rice occasionally. Chicken stew and chicken sandwiches are not only healthy but are also delicious. Avoid pizzas, hot dogs and burgers as much as possible. Keep the recipes simple and avoid adding too much oil and spices.
A Light Dinner
Keep your dinner as light as possible. For dinner, you can have a small serving of grilled vegetables and soups. The other option is grilled lean meat and fish. Having a light dinner is an effective way to lose weight. Purees from vegetables are easy to make. Include lot of protein rich food at dinner and avoid simple carbohydrates. You can also drink a cup of health drink, fruit smoothie or skimmed milk after dinner. When you keep your dinner light, your digestive system requires very less time to breakdown and metabolize the food. This maintains a balance in your health.
It will take some time to get adapted to this diet plan as restraining yourself from tempting fast foods and desserts is not an overnight affair. So how will you accomplish this? First, compare the health benefits of nutritious foods with the ill effects of fast foods. I’m sure you will come up with the right conclusion. The diet plan presented in this article is easy to follow. Apart from this, drink plenty of water, fresh juices, vegetables and fruits to keep yourself glowing and attractive. Practice aerobics and yoga to maintain your figure right from teenage. Good luck!
Shopping around for health insurance is not a simple exercise with the wide range of options to choose from, ranging from HMOs to PPOs and other plans. A well chosen health insurance plan can save you a lot of money in the long term. Ergo, it’s essential that you research health insurance products in microscopic details before choosing one.
How to Select the Best Individual Health Insurance Plan
Considering the exorbitant bills medical practitioners and hospitals charge for treatment, it’s essential that one has an individual health insurance plan that can effectively cover for a substantial part of these expenses. There are a range of individual health insurance products varying in the facilities and degree of coverage they offer. Here are some tips on how choosing individual health insurance plans, tailor made to your own requirements.
Assess Your Health Risk
Firstly, you need to assess your own health risk. What are the individual health care expenses that you normally pay for? What are the kind of health risks that you are prone to, in the near future? Analyzing your own health risk can give you an idea about what kind of health insurance will be well suited for you.
Choosing the Right Type of Plan – HMO, PPO or HDHP?
There are many types of individual health insurance plans that you can choose from. Two of the prime types, which fall under the title of ‘Managed Care Plans’ are HMOs (Health Maintenance Organizations) and PPOs (Preferred Provider Organizations). HMOs offer health care through a closed network of medical practitioners and hospitals. More flexible than HMOs, PPOs also offer their own network of specialists, with the additional facility of consulting doctors outside the preferred network.
The prime difference lies in the fact that PPOs, unlike HMOs, do not require that you have a primary physician from their network. You can choose any doctor to be your primary physician. PPOs tend to cost more than HMOs, but offer a wider range of consulting medical faculty, compared to HMOs.
A third option is to go for a high deductible health plan (HDHP) and qualify for an HSA (Health Savings Account). HDHPs offer comparatively low monthly premiums, compared to other health insurance plans and enable individuals pay for their own medical expenses through tax deferred savings in health savings accounts. Consider all the details and the pros and cons of HDHPs, PPOs and HMOs, before choosing one.
What is the Monthly Premium?
Though health insurance plans differ in the nature of managed care offered, they all have some common features as insurance products, according to which you can compare them. The most important feature is the health insurance monthly premium charged to the insured. Depending on the amount of coverage offered, the monthly premium will vary. PPOs have a high premium compared to HMOs and HDHPs.
What is the Deductible Amount?
There is a minimum amount of medical expense that you must pay for, before the insurance company starts covering your expenses. It’s known as the deductible. The deductible for various types of treatments, varies according to the managed care plan you opt for. Check out the minimum deductible offered by the health insurance plan that you are thinking of buying. Generally, lower the deductible, higher is the premium amount that you must pay for.
Copayment and Coinsurance Details
There is a minimum amount of fees that you must pay for every treatment, while the insurance plan covers the rest. This is known as ‘Copayment’. Check out the copayment amounts charged by HMOs or PPOs for different treatments. Coinsurance is the percentage of medical expenses that are paid for by the insurer. For example, an insurance company may have an 80/20 deal in its agreement, whereby it pays for 80% of the cost of every procedure.
Self Sponsored or Employer Sponsored
It’s mandatory for employers to provide a health insurance plan and most of them will enroll you for a group insurance, that provides limited coverage, which may not be enough for most. It’s better to go for a self sponsored individual health insurance plan, that provides adequate coverage according to your personal health risk.
Selecting the Right Provider & Researching Plan Details
There are hundreds of insurance providers in USA. Ask around among your friends and family, as well as your financial advisor for recommendations. Make a list of the best insurance providers offering HMO, PPO and HDHP plans. Compare them with respect to the features that I talked about before and select the one which best suits your requirements. Research the coverage details thoroughly.
These were some of the most pertinent points that must be considered when choosing an individual health insurance plan. Choose the best insurance plan that offers you an adequate health risk cover at reasonable premiums and a manageable deductible amount. Research thoroughly and compare all the health insurance products you come across, according to the parameters highlighted above to make the right choice. Read the fine print well, before you decide to sign the dotted line!
It’s a common misconception that growing kids can eat anything and everything they want, and will still stay healthy because they’re naturally active. Genetic factors are a consideration, but many children are imitating bad habits they see in their parents. This includes a poor diet, with a reliance on fast foods or processed foods, and not exercising. Until a few years back, parents found it hard to believe that children need a diet and fitness plan. They thought it was something only the grown-ups needed―grown-ups that weren’t in shape. After all the awareness child obesity statistics created, parents have now understood the importance of a healthy lifestyle for their kids.
The average child today spends around 24 hours a week watching television. The increased popularity of computer and video games means kids may spend even less time engaging in physical activities. Just like overweight adults, overweight children are at a greater risk of illness and disease.
What You Can Do
☛ Don’t criticize or blame your child of being overweight. Talk with him about your concerns regarding his weight and health. Teach him to accept and feel good about himself.
☛ Do a reality check and see if your lifestyle needs any changes. Be a role model by paying attention to your own diet, fitness regime, and lifestyle; not being obsessed with it at the same time. Show him that you are confident about your body.
☛ Get moving and make exercise a family affair. There are plenty of activities that you can enjoy together. Plan family outings that include physical activities, such as biking, trekking, or swimming.
☛ Practice healthy eating. Families today are busier than ever, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up on nutrition. Many cookbooks feature fast, healthy recipes. Provide nutritious snacks and teach your child to make healthy food choices on his own.
☛ Just a few habit changes in your family can make a big difference. Discourage him from eating in front of the TV or the computer. More often than not, kids get so lost in front of their T.V. sets (like we all do, from time to time), that they tend to eat in excess. Eat together as a family as much as possible, encourage him to eat slowly, and learn to enjoy good food. Invite your child to participate in food choice and preparation.
☛ For more information on healthy eating and exercise, talk to a registered dietician or a professional trainer, particularly one who has experience of dealing with children. If you feel that your child’s weight might cause serious health problems, consult a physician/pediatrician immediately.
It’s never too early to start a healthy diet and fitness regime for your child, and never too late for you to make the switch to a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy and eat right!
As a child I used to love eating chocolates (I still do) all the time, despite my mom’s warning that I’d end up a toothless hag. Well, after a while, I slowly started losing my teeth one by one (though luckily they were milk teeth), giving rise to the nightmare of being toothless. I used to even complain of toothache. So, my mom decided she had had enough and took me to a pediatric dentist. The very thought of going to the dentist gave me cold feet. But a surprise awaited me at the clinic. Not only was the doctor gentle, but he was also patient till I ended my tantrums. At the end of the treatment, the pediatric dentist and me became very good friends. Looking at him work, and impressed with his demeanor, made a deep impact on my mind and at that point of time I decided to become a pediatric dentist when I grew up. I came to understand what a pediatric dentist was and what was needed to be one.
A pediatric dentist is one who takes care of the oral health of children and addresses their dental problems. He also guides children on how to take care of their teeth, from an early age itself so that major problems like cavities and other problems related to the teeth and gums can be avoided. Childhood dental problems like deformed or protruding teeth, weak teeth are also treated by the pediatric dentist. So if you are aspiring to be a pediatric dentist, and a successful one at that, then the following paragraphs will answer your queries.
Guidelines for Becoming a Pediatric Dentist
As mentioned earlier, oral health care and dental problems of children are taken care of by pediatric dentist. In recent times, this new branch in the field of dentistry deals exclusively with childhood dental problems, and has gained wide acclaim. Many people are opting for a career in this stream, owing to the excitement it offers while dealing with children, and also has a good pay. You can set up a private practice or join a hospital where you can render your services. Here is the information regarding the educational requirements for becoming a pediatric dentist, as well as his duties and responsibilities.
- A good research on the dentistry field before getting into the stream is helpful, as it will help you choose the school and specialization. To become a pediatric dentist, the first step is to earn a Bachelor’s degree in the field of science. You can major in physics, biology and chemistry. You may also apply for a degree in Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) or Doctor of Medical Dentistry (DMD).
- Once you have completed your graduation, you can study further for Master’s degree program in pediatric dentistry. Specialization and training in this field will be provided by the college where you are pursuing the degree. For the query on how long does it take to become a pediatric dentist, the duration of the entire course is 8 years, inclusive of the four-year Bachelor’s degree, two year Master’s program and then the doctorate followied by the internship program.
- After you have finished your studies and internship, apply for a dental license to practice, for which you have to clear a test, that includes a written and practical test, conducted by the National Board of Dental Examinations. After obtaining the license, you can set up a practice or even apply for residency, where you will be taught to handle biostatics, oral pathology, pharmaceutical study, epidemiology and radiology etc. In this program the candidate is also taught to handle child psychology, and how to relieve their anxiety.
- The residency program also includes the study of oral diseases of children, emergency dentistry, general anesthesia, conscious sedation, oral trauma management etc. The candidate is also made familiar with the use of dental equipment, specially designed for the small mouths of children. For extra credentials, you will have to get a certificate from the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry (ABPD), through an exam.
- If you are having a private practice then the charges levied on consultation will be based on the area where you have set your clinic. However, if you are planning to work in hospitals, then the average pediatric dentist salary may begin from $89,000 to $145,000 (approximate figures) on a yearly basis. The salary may also vary according to the state. In some states, the price range may be as high as $176,740 up to $208,470, annually. Again, the average annual salary of a pediatric dentist is determined by the experience, and also on the state where the doctor is practicing.
This was all about how to become a pediatric dentist. A career in pediatric dentistry is quite an enjoyable one as you get to meet kids of different demeanor. So if you love working with children, you know which career to choose. All the best!
Calcium is one of many essential nutrients which keep your body healthy and strong. Calcium is needed by majority of cells in your body from heart to muscles and even nervous system. However, its most crucial function is playing the role of building block for bone in your body. The level of calcium needed might vary from one person to another, but everyone will benefit from consuming foods that are rich of calcium as well as vitamin D, magnesium which are required for calcium to perform at its best.
You will find that calcium is the mineral which is considered the most abundant as many functions in your body require calcium to perform such as bones need it to be strong, nervous system needs it to transmit messages, blood needs it to clot, muscles need it to contract as well as heart needs it to regulate the rhythm.
In case, your diet is lack of calcium, calcium will be taken from your bones to provide for other parts of the body. That will make your bones weaken and it is sometimes called osteoporosis. Lack of calcium also takes impact on your mood as it will make you become depressed, anxious, irritated and have trouble sleeping. Lack of calcium in diet causes many types of health problems including weak bones and teeth. It is the major cause of bone diseases like bone loss. Here are some tips to increase calcium level.
Eat Dairy Foods
Dairy foods are the best sources of calcium. Eating these foods will help in preventing calcium deficiency. Milk, yogurt and cheese are healthy foods for us. Make sure that dairy foods you choose contain very less amount of fat.
Dried Fruits and Nuts
Many dried fruits are high in calcium. In fact, eating five dried figs per day gives you 135mg of calcium. Almonds are also extremely high in calcium. Row or ground into nut butter, almond hold 266mg of calcium per 100g.
Quit Drinking Soda
Any type of soda even decaffeinated or diet can obstruct the absorption of calcium. Therefore, it is recommended to avoid excessive intake of beverages like soda. Excessive intake of soda will lead to high level of phosphate in your blood which will encourage the leaching of calcium from bones as well as excretion of calcium through urination. Furthermore, phosphate also reduces the absorbability of calcium. Besides soda, alcohol is also recommended to be taken in moderated amount.
In case you are diagnosed with deficiency of caffeine, it is recommended to stop consuming coffee as caffeine is similar to phosphate in the negative impacts on calcium in your body. The normal dose for daily intake of coffee is 2 cups per day. Also to reduce the impacts of coffee, it is better to consume together with milk. However, it is best to have some green tea or any other herbal teas instead of coffee. Make sure to go for decaffeinated tea and keep out of any caffeine-laden beverages.
You can also get vitamin D through sunlight. Sitting in the sunlight without applying sunscreen will help in getting vitamin D, which helps in calcium absorption. The best time to get sunlight exposure is before ten o clock in morning. After this avoid the sunlight.
Eat Magnesium-Rich Foods
Magnesium is another nutrient required for calcium absorption. The metabolism of both these nutrients is closely related. The intestinal absorption and the renal excretion of these two ions are interdependent. Without enough magnesium, you can have a calcium deficiency. As your body is not good at storing magnesium, it is essential to include magnesium-rich foods in your diet. Some of the best sources of magnesium are spinach, Swiss chard, summer squash, turnips, mustard greens, broccoli, sea vegetables, avocados, cucumbers, green beans, whole grains, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds and cashews.
The vitamin C in oranges is good for your immune system, but oranges are also an incredible source of bone strengthening calcium. Fresh squeezed orange juice is a great way to start your day.
If you’ve been looking for sound advice on weight loss programs and diet plans, we have some good news for you. We’ve compiled a top ten list of weight loss tips for women. These tips on losing weight are powerful and proven to get results. Best of all, you won’t find any gimmicks or fads here. Only the best, most accurate and scientifically proven health advice made the cut and has been included in this fitness advice guide.
1) Our first weight loss tip for women is simply to exercise consistently. That may seem like common sense, but only 45 percent of adults are actually following their doctor’s advice and getting the recommended minimum: 30 minutes a day, at least four days a week. After only four weeks of inactivity the body begins to shed muscle mass, and aerobic fitness levels start to diminish after missing only two weeks of workouts. That’s why regular, consistent exercise is our first and most important weight loss tip.
2) Don’t focus so much on fast weight loss. Instead, concentrate your efforts on achieving permanent weight loss. While it may be tempting to try the latest fad diet or prescription diet pill, keep in mind that quick weight loss doesn’t always equate to healthy weight loss. As a matter of fact, when you diet without exercising, up to half of the weight you lose could be from muscle mass. Losing muscle is the absolute worst thing you can do when you’re trying to acquire permanent fat loss, so don’t be tempted by the gimmicks promising rapid weight loss. Focus on permanent weight loss through a sensible diet and exercise program, and you’ll be pleased with the long-term results.
3) This weight loss tip is perhaps the best free medical advice you’ll ever receive: Eat your recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables before indulging in any treats. This diet tip is so potent because it will help you realize better health in so many different ways. First and foremost, consuming at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day will help us lose weight because fiber moves fat through our digestive system faster so that less of it is absorbed. High fiber foods also make us feel full sooner and stay in our stomach longer, slowing down our rate of digestion and keeping us feeling full longer. Following this health tip will also lower your risk of several cancers and heart disease.
4) As much as possible, eliminate ‘white’ foods from your diet. High sugar and high carbohydrate foods create an insulin spike that tells our body to start storing fat. They also trigger a blood sugar high, which is inevitably followed by a low. This drop in insulin levels leaves us feeling hungry, tired, and wanting to eat more. Specifically, at the bottom of an insulin crash the body craves more sugar and carbohydrates, setting us up for a vicious weight gain cycle. With this in mind, it’s good advice to simply avoid ‘white’ foods whenever possible. Choose brown rice instead of white, whole wheat bread instead of white, and cut back on goodies made with white processed flour.
5) Actively seek out all the expert advice on health, diet and nutrition that you can find. There are many reputable sources of online medical advice available, and much of it is free. Knowledge is power, and the more you know about weight loss, the more likely it is that you’ll be successful in your efforts. Look for free advice and fitness tips from qualified sources like health club owners, physicians, and certified personal trainers. In short, learn all you can.
6) Get at least eight hours of sleep each night. Research has shown that people who sleep only four hours a night have an 18 percent reduction in leptin, a hormone that tells the brain there is no need for more food, and a 28 percent increase in ghrelin, which triggers hunger. This is one weight loss tip that should be easy for anyone to follow.
7) Drink water. Drink LOTS of water. Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies show that a decrease in water will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water can actually reduce fat deposits. Why? The kidneys can’t function properly without enough water. When the kidneys don’t function to capacity, some of the work load is taken on by the liver. The liver’s primary function is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy. If the liver has to do some of the kidney’s work, it can’t function at its optimal capacity. As a result, it metabolizes less fat. More fat remains stored and weight loss / fat loss stops.
8) Although it’s not a workout tip or an exercise tip, staying motivated is probably the most effective weight loss advice you’ll ever receive. Since each person in different, motivational techniques will vary. However, many have found that charting fat loss progress to be very encouraging. Others maintain that the single most motivating action is to find a friend and commit to exercise together. Whatever method you choose, find a way to stay motivated if you want to write your own weight loss success story.
9) Essential weight loss advice for a woman is to not exercise like a man. That may sound strange at first, but the fact of the matter is that there are several separate and distinct exercise methods available, and not all are proper for women. In fact, some types of exercise could possibly cause women to gain weight (although any weight gain would be from added muscle, not from fat). For maximum fat loss, women should be engaging in not only aerobic exercise but also in light resistance training.
10) Our final weight loss tip is to carefully select vitamins and supplements to help you attain your fat loss goals. There are a million diet pills and weight loss pills on the market, but the vast majority of them may not be appropriate for you and your personal needs. Instead of buying what you see on the infomercials, take the time to research what’s effective and what’s not. Most importantly, speak with your doctor before beginning any supplement program. Medical research has given us many breakthroughs in the last few decades, and vitamins and supplements can certainly be a valuable tool in your weight loss toolbox. Take the time to investigate the options and choose wisely.
Although there’s a mountain of health advice available today, our Top 10 Weight Loss Tips for Women are the best, most accurate and scientifically proven recommendations at hand. Take them to heart, and you’ll be well on your way towards fat loss success.